The Beginning of our Story: How We Met

My husband and I have been married for two years now! Where has the time gone? How we met is different than how most people meet their spouse. I was just starting nursing school when we first started talking..

Let me start with the backstory first. My brother is in the military and liked to play matchmaker of sorts, he would give his friends my number and I would get texts. Well lets just skip through the fact that we met through one of my brothers friends (that part gets complicated.. haha he was actually my brothers friends roommate and they were living in California and I was in Florida).

Anyways.. it was the beginning of nursing school for me and I was not really looking for another long distance relationship (they never really ended well for me). My now husband and I started texting after my brothers friend introduced us. We started off as friends and would talk on a regular basis, I really didn’t want another long distance relationship so when he asked me to be his girlfriend I said no. We still hadn’t met in person, just talked over the phone and skype.

It wasn’t until Christmas that I finally started giving into the idea of being with him (we started texting in September). Things started to get serious and In January he was going to be in Washington D.C. for some training so he decided to fly me out for the weekend that I had a Monday off from college. The girls in my class all thought I was crazy, honestly I thought I was crazy. I had never met him before and I was flying by myself for the first time to another state. I asked my mom over and over if I should go or not and she was all for it. So I finally decided to just go.

This was my first time ever on an airplane and I was terrified. I may have screamed a bit during some turbulence… don’t judge. Anyways I finally got to the D.C., and let me tell you it was the most confusing airport to get around, I had to call him and ask him where to go and what to do. I stayed on the phone until we reached each other. When I saw him the first time I thought he was even more attractive in person, we were both super shy but I was comfortable around him right away. He almost got pulled over on the way to the hotel right after I told him he was going to get pulled over! He had forgotten to turn his lights on and was so embarrassed.

We finally make it to the hotel and I meet his friends, all of which were super nice. The whole weekend was great, we explored the Smithsonian museums and walked around. One of his friends tripped up the stairs and I laughed way more than I should have. Then after all the exploring we returned to the hotel and I was starving so we decided to order some Chinese food, he ordered it and we were waiting and waiting for what seemed like forever. I asked him to check on it and it turns out he ordered it from a place that was 45 miles away! How does that even happen? We still joke about that to this day.

The weekend came to an end faster than we liked. He made plans to visit me on Valentines day so that we had that to look forward to. The flight home was worse than the flight there I may have fallen asleep and woke up yelling a few times.

We got in a few visits with each other before he had to be deployed for 7 months and that was when our relationship was definitely tested but we made it out stronger than ever and were married shortly after he got home. Since then we have gone through another deployment, celebrated our two year anniversary and welcomed a beautiful baby boy. We are so in love and can’t wait for what the future has in store for us.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s